The parishes of Mains and Strathmartine were united on 21 Nov 1792. Anciently, Mains was called Strathdichty Comitis or Earl's Strathdichty; Strathmartine (or Strickmartine) was called Strathdichty Martin. The Dichty Water flows through the parishes.
|NLS||National Library of Scotland|
|NRS||National Records of Scotland, formerly called the National Archives of Scotland [NAS] and, before that, the Scottish Record Office [SRO]|
HM General Register House, Edinburgh EH1 3YY (Tel: +44-131-535-1314); some records are at West Register House, Charlotte Square, Edinburgh (Tel: +44-131-535-1413)
|OPR||Old Parish Registers of Births/baptisms, Banns/marriages & Deaths/burials (pre-1855)|
- See also, for history of the parish:
- Old Statistical Account of Mains of the 1790s - vol. 5, p. 218
- Old Statistical Account of Strathmartine of the 1790s - vol. 13, p. 95
- New Statistical Account of Mains & Strathmartine of the 1840s - vol. 11, p. 54
Above: a modern street map of the north of Dundee, with approximate boundaries of the parishes of Mains and Strathmartine added
This map is an adaptation of material that is © OpenStreetMap contributors, and is released under CC-BY-SA
- 1:25000 Ordnance Survey map - published 1957 (shows Trottick, Claverhouse, Fintry, Mains Castle and Kirk)
- 1:25000 Ordnance Survey map - published 1959 (shows Kirkton of Strathmartine [now Bridgefoot])
- 1:10560 (Six inch) Ordnance Survey map - surveyed 1858, published 1865 (shows Trottick, Claverhouse)
- 1:2500 (25 inch) Ordnance Survey map - surveyed 1858, published 1865 (shows Trottick, Baldovan)
For the full range of maps of Mains & Strathmartine, see National Library's Maps.
Photographs of Mains. National Grid ref. NO4132.
Photographs of Trottick and Claverhouse. National Grid ref. NO4033.
Photographs of Kirkton of Strathmartine - now called Bridgefoot. National Grid ref. NO3735.
The ruins of Mains Kirk are at National Grid ref. NO411331, beside Mains Castle. The mediaeval kirk was dedicated to St Ninian and granted to the Abbey of Arbroath by Gillechrist earl of Angus.
Strathmartine Kirk, at Kirkton of Strathmartine (now called Bridgefoot), at NO378352, built in 1779, was demolished in 1799.
The kirk built after 1799 at Trottick, in the south-east corner of the junction of the Old Glamis Road and Claverhouse Road, at NO402336, served the united parishes of Mains & Strathmartine.
adm.: admitted, ass.: assistant, bapt.: baptised, contr.: contract, dem.: demitted, dep.: deposed, ind.: inducted, lic.: licensed, mar.: married, min.: minister, ord.: ordained, pres.: presented, rel.: related, res.: resigned, suc.: successor, test.: testament, tr.: translated
|William Auchmowtie||1568-1572||M.A.; adm. Aug 1568 with Lundie also in his charge; tr. to Strathmartine 1572|
|Alexander Tyrie||1574-ca. 1581||tr. from Meigle PER 1574; had Strathmartine, Auchterhouse and Tealing also in charge; tr. to Auchterhouse bef. 1582|
|William Bruce||1585||reader; pres. to vicarage 21 Feb 1588-9 on death of Alexr Graham|
|William Rait||1590-1593, 1595-ca. 1632||min. 1590; tr. to Lundie 1593; tr. to Strathmartine 1594; returned here 1595; had Strathmartine also in charge 1612; d. 5 Oct 1630 x 19 Feb 1633; mar. Janet Lundie; issue: David, min. of Kinnaird (by Farnell); Harry; Margaret|
|Henry Fithie||1633-1649||2nd son of James Fithie, skinner, merchant burgess of Dundee and Anna Thain; M.A. St Andrews 1621; adm. to Benvie 25 Mar 1627; pres. 19 Feb 1633; dep. 1649; d. bef. 1 May 1655; mar. Isobel Erskine; issue: Henry (d.y.); Mr James, min. here|
|Henry Auchenleck||1652-1662||ord. 14 Oct 1652; tr. to 2nd charge Perth 23 Dec 1662|
|James Fithie *||1663-1672||b. ca. 1630, son of above Henry F.; M.A. St Andrews 1650; ord. May 1663; d. 23 Jun 1672; mar. 1654 Martha (who survived him), dau. of David Souter, alias Johnston, of Wardmilne, Arbroath; issue: Henry; John; Isobel (mar.  James Ramsay, town clerk of Dundee;  George Crockett); Christian; David; Henry; James, Martha, Robert|
|Patrick Strachan||1673-1701||b. ca. 1650, son of James Strachan in Carmyllie; M.A. St Andrews 1669; adm. 16 Mar 1673; dep. 23 Oct 1701 for contumacy, but remained till 1707; d. aft. 1710; buried Perth; mar. (1) 1675 Margaret Morton; issue: John, Geo.; mar. (2) Lucrese, eldest dau. of Arthur Granger, min. of Panbride|
|James Hodge||1707-1709||ord. 6 Mar 1707; tr. to Longforgan PER 5 Oct 1709|
|Andrew Ronaldson||1710-1722||M.A. St Andrews 1696; ord. 25 Oct 1710; d. Jan/Feb 1722, aged ca. 46; mar. 1704 Margaret, dau. of Wm Hackstoun, tailor, Edinburgh; issue: Helen (mar. John White, shoemaker, Dundee); Agnes; Florence (mar. James Donaldson, shoemaker, Edinburgh); Andw; Margaret; 2 others|
|John Ker||1723-1759||b. ca. 1693, bro. of Thomas Ker, min. of Balmerino FIF; M.A. St Andrews 1713; chaplain to Sir John Sinclair of Stevenson; ord. 6 Feb 1723; d. 30 Jun 1759; mar. 1726 Eliz. Campbell; issue: Ann, Thos, Eliz., Margaret|
|John Gibson||1760-1795||b. 1732, son of John G., farmer, Pettinain LKS; ord. 12 Mar 1760; d. 9 Feb 1795; mar. 1766 Euphemia Halliburton; issue: Agnes (mar. Patrick Macvicar, min. of 3rd charge Dundee)|
|Alexander Strachan||1795-1799||b. 6 Sep 1747, son of James S., min. of Kinkell ABD; M.A. Marischal 1766; schoolmaster Dun; ord. to Strathmartine 19 Jan 1775; removed to Mains on union 21 Nov 1795; d. 24 Feb 1799; mar. (1) 1771 Jean Fullerton; issue: Margaret; James, M.D., Mauritius; Mary; Jean (mar. James Burnet, merchant, Arbroath); mar. (2) 1781 Eliz. Mitchell; issue: Wm; Eliz.; Nancy Adamson; Euphemia; Janet; Isabella [M.I. to her in Dean Cemetery, Edinburgh]; Lilias|
|Francis Nicoll||1799-1820||M.A.; tr. from Auchtertool FIF; adm. 19 Sep 1799; tr. to St Leonard's FIF 20 Jul 1820|
|David Cannan||1820-1848||b. 1774 Kells KKD, son of James C., farmer; ord. to Kirriemuir 24 Mar 1803; tr. to Murroes 3 Aug 1809; tr. & adm. 16 Nov 1820; D.D. St Andrews 1828; dem. 28 Jun 1848; d. 12 Jul 1854 Edinburgh; M.I. in Dean Cemetery Edinburgh; mar. 1804 Margaret Ouchterlony, dau. of James Lowe, Trinidad; issue: James; Joseph; Mary; Francis Nicoll, min. of Lintrathen; Robt, lieut.-gen. in Turkish service; John, surveyor, Australia; Peter; Helen (mar. James Forgan, writer, Dundee); Thos, planter, Mysore; David; Alexr, capt., H.E.I.C.S.|
|John Robertson||1848-1858||ord. 21 Sep 1848; tr. to St Mungo's Glasgow 24 Jun 1858|
|John McMurtrie||1858-1866||M.A.; ind. 2 Sep 1858; tr. to St Bernard's Edinburgh 11 Jan 1866|
|William Boyd||1866-1873||b. 30 Oct 1840 Dundee, son of John B., farmer; M.A. St Andrews 1860; ass. Leslie FIF; ord. 19 Apr 1866; d. 2 Apr 1873 Florence; mar. 1866 Janet Lockie, dau. of David Runciman, D.D., min. of St Andrew's Glasgow; issue: Janet Aitchison; John James; David Runciman|
|Alexander Stewart||1873-1882||M.A., D.D.; ord. 18 Sep 1873; res. 4 Nov 1882 on appointment as prof. of systematic theology, Aberdeen|
|Richard Spittal Ritchie||1888-1917||b. 27 Apr 1859 Moonzie FIF, son of Wm Spittal & Cath. Ritchie; ord. to Sorn AYR 21 Jul 1885; tr. & adm. 21 Nov 1888; d. 18 Apr 1917; mar. 1891 Sophia Playfair, dau. of Andrew Chrystal (son of James C., D.D., min. of Auchinleck AYR); issue: Sophia Playfair; Shina Fowler; Eliza Chrystal; Cath. Giffen|
|Alexander Anderson||1918-1925||b. 15 Oct 1876 Fraserburgh ABD, son of Alexr A.; M.A. Aberdeen 1899; B.D. St Andrews 1906; ass. to prof. of Hebrew, St Andrews; ass. Uddingston; ord. to St James's Kirkcaldy FIF 24 Jan 1912; tr. & adm. 20 Feb 1918; dem. 25 Nov 1925; adm. Robertson Memorial Glasgow 12 Jan 1928|
|John Sinclair||1926-1945||tr. from Lundie 14 Apr 1926; dem. 1 Oct 1945; mar. x 2 & had issue|
* The Fasti mistakenly list him as being twice married, but Martha Souter and Martha Johnston were the same woman - see Note for Mr John Souter, alias Johnston, of Wardmilne, minister of Barry, Martha's brother.
Parish ministers of Strathmartine 1567-1795
|James Weicht||1563-1572||exhorter 1563; min. 1567; d. Aug 1572|
|Thomas Morrison||1568||pres. to vicarage 14 May 1568 on death of James Tyrie|
|William Auchmoutie||1572-?||adm. to Mains Aug 1568; tr. & adm. 1572; pres. to prebend of quarter of parsonage 20 Mar 1572-3 on death of Sir James Weicht|
|William Rait||1594-1612||tr. from Lundie 1594; removed to Mains 1595 but retained this charge till aft. 23 Apr 1612|
|William Rollock||1620-1623||M.A. St Andrews 1620; adm. bef. 2 Oct 1620; d. 1623, aged ca. 24; prob. mar. 1623 Elspeth Rollo|
|David Jameson||1626-1637||M.A. St Andrews 1612; adm. bef. 6 Sep 1626; d. aft. 8 Aug 1637, aged ca. 45; mar. Margaret Hay, who survived him|
|Alexander Ramsay||1638-1649||son of Alexr Ramsay in Gedhall; M.A. St Andrews 1625; adm. ca. 1638; dep. Sep 1649; issue: Marjory|
|James Fraser of Kirkton||1653-1653||adm. bef. 24 Jan 1653; tr. to Arbroath 21 Jul 1653|
|John Mow||1655-1663||adm. bef. 8 Dec 1655; still min. 3 Feb 1663|
|David Fergusson||1664-1689?||son of David F., burgess of Dundee; gt-gson of David F., min. of Dunfermline FIF; M.A. St Andrews 1648; adm. bef. 18 May 1664; still min. 6 Feb 1689; d. bef. 29 Jun 1696; mar. Barbara Pierson; issue: David, writer|
|Thomas Ogilvie||1697-1703||ord. 13 May 1697; tr. to Coupar Angus 18 May 1703|
|James Goodsir||1706-1717||ord. 12 Dec 1706; tr. to Monikie 12 Feb 1717|
|William Thomson||1718-1743||ord. 24 Apr 1718; d. 26 Jan 1743; mar. Helen, dau. of William Ged, merchant, Edinburgh|
|Hugh Maxwell||1744-1751||descendant of the Maxwells of Tealing; M.A. St Andrews 1702; ord. to Tealing 29 Jul 1703; tr. to Forfar 21 Mar 1717; tr. & adm. 27 Jun 1744; d. 30 Jan 1751, aged ca. 69; mar. (1) 1703 Margaret Kinloch; issue: David, min. here; Robt, of Halkerton; Geo., of Balmyles, provost of Dundee; Isobel; Janet (mar. Wm Moncrieff, min. of Kinnell); mar. (2) contr. 1724 Kath., dau. of Sir Alexr Brand of Brandsfield, Edinburgh; mar. (3) 1745 Kath., dau. of Mungo Murray, collector for Perthshire; mar. (4) Anne Dalgleish|
|David Maxwell of Strathmartine||1751-1774||b. 1704, son of above; M.A. St Andrews 1725; ord. to Eassie 22 Apr 1733; tr. & adm. 14 Nov 1751; d. 6 Jun 1774; mar. 1737 Isabel, 2nd dau. of Alexr Duncan of Lundie; issue: Isabella (mar. James Morison of Naughton & Strathmartine); Cath.; Janet; Anne (mar. Capt. Charles Bell); Helen (mar. George Blair of Adamstone); Mary; Lilias|
|Alexander Strachan||1775-1795||M.A.; ord. 19 Jan 1775; removed to Mains on union of parishes 1795; see above list for ministers of Mains & Strathmartine|
Monuments in Mains Kirkyard and at Trottick bearing pre-1855 information are listed in Alison Mitchell (ed.), "Pre-1855 Monumental Inscriptions in Angus, Vol. 4: Dundee" (Edinburgh: Scottish Genealogy Soc.), which can be bought from the Scottish Genealogy Society. (It's listed as "Angus MI - Vol. 4. Pre-1855 for Dundee and Broughty Ferry" in their online shop.)
Mains Churchyard [old photo] is close to Mains Castle, within Caird Park, Dundee.
Andrew Jervise recorded some monuments at Mains in his "Epitaphs & Inscriptions", vol. 1, pp. 302-3 and at Strathmartine on pp. 204-6 of that volume.
Monuments in the surviving, southern part, of Strathmartine Kirkyard bearing pre-1855 information (ca. 40 stones) are listed in Alison Mitchell (ed.), "Pre-1855 Monumental Inscriptions in Angus, Vol. 3: Environs of Dundee" (Edinburgh: Scottish Genealogy Soc., 1996), which can be bought from the Scottish Genealogy Society. (It's listed as "Angus MI - Vol. 3. Pre-1855 Environs of Dundee" in their online shop.) The northern part has been built over.
Indexes and actual records for Statutory Registers of Births, Marriages & Deaths, beginning 1 Jan 1855, are available online, following registration and the purchase of credits, at the official web-site, ScotlandsPeople.
Indexes and actual records for all extant Old Parish Registers (OPRs) (pre-1855) of the Established Church of Scotland are available online, following registration and the purchase of credits, at the official web-site, ScotlandsPeople.
- Mains: 1635-1854
- Strathmartine: 1744-1854
- Mains: 1635-1805, 1826-1854
- Strathmartine: 1783-1854
- Mains: 1746-1759, 1826-1854
- Strathmartine: 1783-1789
Church Session Records of Mains Parish Church
Later, of Mains & Strathmartine Church Session
Original records are held by Dundee City Archives; repertory is available at NRS ref. CH2/23/...; digital images are available on personal visit to NRS.
|Nature of record||Dates||DCA ref. CH2/256/...|
|Minutes & accounts||1851-1915||3|
|Minutes (as board of health in cholera outbreak)||1831-1833||4|
|Roll of male heads of families||1834-1841||4|
|French exercises||ca. 1870||4|
|Pamphlet - History of Mains Parish Church, by Gordon Kiernan||1978||6|
|do||1891-1943 (with gaps)||17 to 29|
|Cash books||1908-1978||30 to 35|
|Misc. papers of the Rev. R. Spencer Ritchie, min.||1888-1917||39|
Church Session Records of Mains & Strathmartine Free Church
Later, United Free; united with Downfield North in 1941
Records are in Dundee City Archives, possibly as DCA ref. GD/X100/2
|Nature of record||Dates||previously NRS ref. CH3/1592/...|
|No info available on contents|
|Nature of record||Dates||NRS ref. HR439/...|
|Papers re ecclesiastical buildings, etc. (glebe)||1910-1922||4|
|Papers re transference of property to Church of Scotland General Trustees||1926-1929||5|
|Standing orders of St Andrews Provincial Committee for Training of Teachers||1910||6|
There were 2 heritors of the parish of Strathmartine in 1790:
- Capt. David Laird of Strathmartine
- Walter Ogilvy of Tulledaph-hall
There were 10 proprietors of land worth at least £50 per annum in the united parish in 1833, including:
- Sir John Ogilvy of Inverquharity, bart.
- David Laird of Strathmartine
Records of the official censuses of the parish in 1841, 1851, 1861, 1871, 1881, 1891, 1901 and 1911 are held in the New Register House, Edinburgh and are open to the public on payment of a fee.
Indexes to all the original census records, and the records themselves, can be accessed online at modest charge at ScotlandsPeople.
Microfilm copies are also widely available in libraries. The 1881 census is available on CD-ROM.
The early censuses of 1801-31 do not name individuals.
|1755||Dr Alexander Webster|
|1790||Old Statistical Account|
|1755||368||Dr Alexander Webster|
|1790||340||Old Statistical Account|
For Mains & Strathmartine:
|1755||1077||Dr Alexander Webster|
|1790||Old Statistical Account|
Mains & Strathmartine were in the Commissariot of St Andrews.
Indexes to all extant pre-1926 testamentary records (wills & inventories of moveable property) can be searched free of charge at ScotlandsPeople. Digital (and paper) copies of the documents can be purchased at that site. See further the introduction to Angus & Kincardineshire at Testaments.
Testaments of Mains & Strathmartine people from the Register of Testaments of the Commissariot of St Andrews, 1549-1800
|Thomas Alexander||at the Milne of Mains||6 Nov 1592|
|Janet Bad||spouse to Robert Keill, in Westmuir, par. of Maynes||27 Apr 1614|
|David Baxter||in Magdalen Kirktoun, par. of Maynes||22 Oct 1681|
|William Batchler||in Bakmure of the Mains of Stradichty||3 Jul 1598|
|James Batschilvie||in Hill of Mains||11 Jun 1606|
|Jean Butchart||sometime spouse to John Smart, at the East Barns of Powrie, par. of Maynes||17 Jul 1620|
|Alexander Clement||in Kirktoun of Strikmartin||23 Feb 1676|
|Catherine Clerk||in Cottertoun of Claverhouse, par. of Symmevey [?], spouse of William Davidson, cotterman||11 Jul 1598|
|Walter Clogstoune||cotterman in Claverhouss, par. of Mains||2 Nov 1620|
|John Constable||shepherd in the Mains of Fentrie, par. of Mains||8 Apr 1598|
|Christian Crombie||spouse to William Constable, in Quheitfeild, par. of Maines||23 Feb 1619|
|Janet Duncan||spouse to Thomas Wolom, in Cottoun of Strikmartyn||10 Nov 1613|
|Margaret Elder||sometime spouse to John Craig, cotterman in Bridge of Achrie, par. of Strikmartene||14 Jan 1600|
|Thomas Fermour||in Coattown of Strathmartine||3 Sep 1712|
|Mr James Fythie||minister at the Mains||16 Nov 1672 and 6 Dec 1683|
|Alexander Gibb||in the Cottertoun of the East Mains, par. of Mains||11 Feb 1676|
|Captain James Grahame of Labbothie||par. of Maynes||15 Aug 1627|
|Andrew Gray||in Cottertoun of Balgray, par. of Mains||2 Sep 1710|
|Thomas Greig||in Kirktoune of Mains||31 Aug 1606|
|Bessie Guild||spouse to Andrew Matho, Balmadon, par. of Strikmartyn||9 Feb 1607|
|Thomas Guild||in Muircranks, par. of Erlisstradichty||5 Apr 1596|
|Thomas Honey||bleacher at Hanna-green, near Mains of Fintry, par. of Mains||18 Mar 1779|
|David Husband||smith in the Hill of the Mains, sher. of Forfar||23 Mar 1648|
|Alexander Kinnear||sometime in Balkemback, thereafter in Hill of Mains, par. of Mains||20 Apr 1770|
|Jean Kinnear||spouse to Peter Forthringham, in the Hill head of Claverhouse, par. of Mains||12 Oct 1681|
|George Low||at the Heirstane milne, par. of Mains||31 Mar 1600|
|Agnes Lundie||sometime spouse to Sir William Grahame of Claverhouse, knight, par. of Maynes||26 Mar 1614|
|James Millar||sometime cotterman in the Cottertoun of Strikmartein||31 Mar 1600|
|Thomas Millar||at Strakmertine-milne, par. of Strickmertine||26 Jun 1619|
|Patrick Milne||sometime cotter-man in Baldovane, par. of Strikmertin||31 Mar 1600|
|Thomas Mitchell||tenant and gardener in Conbywood, par. of Mains||31 Oct 1785|
|James Mortimer||tenant in Ballmoor, par. of Mains of Angus||26 May 1717|
|Margaret Mudie||in Strikmartene||22 Feb 1600|
|Andrew Mylne||schoolmaster at Strickmartine||6 May 1708|
|William Nairne of Baldovin||par. of Strathmartine||9 Dec 1719|
|Isobel Petrie||in Cottoun of Badragone, par. of Strikmartyne||12 Aug 1598|
|William Petrie||in Piteragone, and Margaret Heringe, his spouse, cotters, par. of Strikmertein||18 Mar 1600|
|Janet Rae||spouse to David Watsoune, in Bakmuir of Maines, par. of Maines||19 Aug 1618|
|Andrew Richardson||in the Hill of Maynes, par. of Maynes||14 Mar 1614|
|Walter Robertson||in the Myln of Balmuir, par. of Mains||31 Oct 1674|
|Ann Salter||daughter of the deceased David Salter, tenant in Miln of Trotick, par. of Mains||10 Jun 1786|
|David Salter||sometime tenant in Mill of Trotick, par. of Mains||10 Jun 1786|
|David Salter||lawful son of the deceased David Salter, sometime tenant in Miln of Trotick, par. of Mains||10 Jun 1786|
|Gilbert Sellar||at the Milne of Mains, par. of Mains||21 Aug 1617|
|Elspet Smith||sometime spouse to Andrew Elder, brabonar at Brigend of Achrie, par. of Strikmartin||14 Jan 1600|
|Walter Smith||tailor, dwelland in Kirktoune, par. of Mains||13 Jan 1596-7|
|John Steel of Leitfie||par. of Strathmartine||7 Oct 1780|
|Margaret Stevenson||sometime spouse to David Watson, in Backmuir, par. of Mains||6 May 1606|
|Mr Alexander Strachan||minister of Strathmartine and Mains||19 Mar 1800|
|James Thayne||at the Mylne of Fallawes, par. of Strikmarten||29 Nov 1627|
|James Thayne||sometime tenant at Strathmartine, Forfar||22 Jan 1718|
|John Thayne||at Bandiveain, par. of Straikmairtyne||13 Sep 1621|
|Thomas Thayne||in Hilhous, par. of Strikmartine||18 Apr 1626|
|James Thom||tenant in Lioch, par. of Strathmartin||29 Mar 1717|
|James Thomson||in Hilhouse, par. of Strikmartine||5 Mar 1702|
|Matilda Vaimand||in Bakmure of Manis of Stradichtie, relict of William Baitchlar||3 Jul 1598|
|David Walker||tenant in Cottoun of Strathmartine||13 Mar 1745|
|David Walls or Wallis||wobster in Balgray, par. of the Mains of Stradich||17 Apr 1598|
|David Weir||in Baldrygan, par. of Strikmartin||30 Aug 1682|
|Elspet White||in Strikmartin, spouse of John Walker||18 Mar 1600|
|Patrick Wintoun of Kirkmartine||11 Apr 1673|
|Patrick Wintoun of Strickmartine||19 Feb 1695|
Testaments registered at St Andrews that have been lost, for which only entries in the minute books are extant.
|Andrew Brown||waiter in Hill of Mains, par. of Mains||3 May 1732|
|Walter Lorimer||sometime at Glammer at Glamis, and last in par. of Mains||24 Jul 1766|
|Robert Matheson||wright at Robbertsmiln, par. of Mains||1 Aug 1733|
|Margaret Thain||at Baldovan, par. of Strathmartine||19 Oct 1726|
Testaments of Mains & Strathmartine people from the Register of Testaments of the Commissariot of Edinburgh, 1601-1700
|James Thane||in Potteinpane, par. of Strikmertyne, in Angus||11 Feb 1609|
|David Thomson||in the Kirktoun of Strikmertyne, in Angus||15 Jul 1608|
Images of the original records for Mains and for Strathmartine:
Images of the original records for Mains:
Images of the original records for Strathmartine:
- Mains Castle - alias Mains of Fintry Castle