The coastal burgh of Carnoustie, originally confined to the south-east of the parish of Barry, has since spread into the parish of Panbride, to include the settlement called Newton of Panbride.
|NLS||National Library of Scotland|
|NRS||National Records of Scotland, formerly called the National Archives of Scotland [NAS] and, before that, the Scottish Record Office [SRO]|
HM General Register House, Edinburgh EH1 3YY (Tel: +44-131-535-1314)
|OPR||Old Parish Registers of Births/baptisms, Banns/marriages & Deaths/burials (pre-1855)|
- See also, for history of the parish:
For King and Country: Carnoustie and District Roll of Honour (n.d.) [List of men serving, 1914-15]
George Cecil Dickson - Carnoustie and its Neighbourhood (Carnoustie: Alexr Reid, 1892)
James Fotheringham - Carnoustie Sketches: the Village, its Characters and Customs (Arbroath: Brodie & Salmond, 1889)
Photo-books - old photographs of Carnoustie
- Fiona Scharlau - Old Carnoustie (Catrine: Stenlake, 2002)
- Old Statistical Account of the 1790s - vol. 4, p. 236
- New Statistical Account of the 1840s - vol. 11, p. 659
1:25000 Ordnance Survey map - published 1957
1:10560 (Six inch) Ordnance Survey map - surveyed 1858, published 1865
For the full range of maps of Barry, see National Library's Maps.
ScotlandsPlaces: Carnoustie - an extensive collection of photographs, maps and records
Geograph.org: Barry - recent photographs of Barry. National Grid ref. NO5334.
Geograph.org: Carnoustie - recent photographs of Carnoustie. National Grid ref. NO5634.
Photographs of places and people
Located at National Grid ref. NO536345. Built 1800, it became Barry West Kirk. It was reduced to a few courses of masonry in the 1960s. The mediaeval kirk on this site was appropriated to Balmerino Abbey in Fife.
Above: the remains of the former West Kirk of Barry
Above: the former Free Kirk, later United Free Kirk, of Barry. This building of 1888 replaced one of 1843; a date stone for 1843 is preserved in the present fabric. The kirk became Barry East Kirk, and is now Barry Parish Kirk.
Above: Carnoustie Church on the north side of Dundee St, Carnoustie, located at NO559345. Architect: Peter McGregor Chalmers, 1902. This church replaced an earlier building of 1837.
Above: the former Erskine United Free Church, Dundee St, Carnoustie; an older photo
adm.: admitted, ass.: assistant, bapt.: baptised, contr.: contract, dem.: demitted, dep.: deposed, ind.: inducted, lic.: licensed, mar.: married, min.: minister, ord.: ordained, pres.: presented, rel.: related, res.: resigned, suc.: successor, test.: testament, tr.: translated
|Charles Michelson||1560||reader; min. in 1584|
|Andrew Auchinleck||1567-ca. 1576||also had Murroes in his charge 1567; and had Monifieth in 1574; moved to Monifieth ca. 1576|
|Charles Michelson||1584-bef. 1590||had been reader here 1560; tr. from Arbirlot 1584; moved back to Arbirlot bef. 1590|
|Harry Kinnear||?-1591||dem. 1591|
|John Gardyne||1591-1611||M.A. St Andrews 1583; pres. to parsonage & vicarage 4 Mar 1590-1; dem. 1611, after accusation of immorality|
|James Strachan||1611-1619||M.A.; tr. to Kinneff 1619|
|Andrew Wood||1619-1632||M.A.; tr. to Monifieth 1632|
|Patrick Makgill||1632-1642||M.A.; tr. to Monikie 1642|
|William Auchinleck||1642-1643||M.A. St Andrews 1625; adm. Monikie 1634; tr. & adm. 1642; d. bef. 10 Mar 1643; mar. Jean, dau. of John Durham, min. of Monikie|
|Patrick Lyon||1643-1658||b. 1603, son of Andrew Lyon of Balgillo; M.A. Kings 1623; adm. (as colleague?) 1636; tr. & adm. 1643; d. Mar 1658; mar. contr. 1633 Isobel, dau. of Hercules Cramond of Balhall; issue: Patrick, of Carnathie, advocate (heir to father 1663); Agnes (mar. Hercules Skinner, min. of Fettercairn); a dau. (mar. Wm Chalmers, min. of Glamis)|
|John Johnston, alias Souter, of Wardmylne *||1659-1681||2nd son of David Johnston, alias Souter, of W.; M.A. St Andrews 1652 or poss. educ. at Marischal Coll. Aberdeen; adm. bef. 3 Nov 1659; suspended for antenuptial fornication, 12 Mar 1660; reponed 12 Jul 1660; dem. bef. 27 Jan 1681; thereafter adm. bef. 27 Sep 1684 as min. of Saline FIF; min. there until the revolution; mar. 1660[?] Marion Halyburton|
|James Carnegie, 2nd of Craigo||1681-1701||b. ca. 1640, son of David Carnegie, 1st of Craigo, min. of Farnell and Dean of Brechin; M.A. St Andrews 1659; ord. & adm. Redgorton 1665; served heir to father 1673; tr. & adm. 1681; d. 6 Dec 1701; mar. Ann, dau. of John Gardyne of Lawton; issue: David, 3rd of Craigo; Eliz. (mar. 1. Robert Arbuthnott, 2. Sir James Nicolson of that ilk & Lasswade, bart.); Helen; Magdalen (mar. John Mudie of Arbikie); Agnes (mar. Thomas Ogilvie of Kinaldie); Cath. (mar. -- Pearson); Ann (mar. Alexander Dickson, yr of Stonefold [BEW])|
|Alexander Archibald||1704-1724||M.A. Marischal 1691; ord. 1704; d. 4 Jul 1724; mar. Ann Kennedy; issue: Jane (mar. Wm Dawling, excise officer); a dau.|
|William Dall||1724-1775||ord. 1724; d. 27 Sep 1775; mar. 1726 Rachel Russel; issue: Rachel (mar. John Speid, merchant, Dundee); Anne (mar. George Grant, excise officer); Thomas; Janet (mar. James Walker of Dafthill); Marjory (mar. George Thomson of Nolthill)|
|David Sim||1776-1823||b. 1753, son of a farmer at Panlathie; ord. 1776; d. 1 Oct 1823; mar. 1786 Agnes Maule; issue: James Milne HEICS; Eliz.; Margt; Jean; John; David; Margt; Robert; Wilhelmina|
|John Kirk||1824-1837||ord. 1824; tr. to Arbirlot 1837|
|James Lumsden||1838-1843||b. 1810 Dysart FIF, eldest son of James L., merchant; ass. Larbert & Dunipace 1833-5; appointed city missionary Dunfermline 1835; ord. Inverbrothock 1836; adm. 1838; joined Free Kirk 1843; min. of Barry Free Kirk, 1843-56; professor, Free Kirk Coll., Aberdeen 1856, principal there 1864; D.D. St Andrews 1869; d. unm. 1875|
|William Simpson||1843-1851||ord. 1843; dep. 1851; d. 5 Mar 1865; mar. 1844 Margaret Smith; issue: Margaret; Janet Isabella; Wm|
|James Sommers||1851-1866||b. 1811 Stirling, eldest son of Robt S.; ord. St James's Forfar 1845; tr. & adm. 1851; d. 25 Jan 1866; mar. Margaret, dau. of Wm Carruthers, farmer; no issue|
|Charles Findlater Stevenson||1866-1905||b. 1831 Wilton ROX, son of David Sommers, min. of Wilton; ord. Stobhill 1860; tr. & adm. 1866; d. unm. 1905 Monifieth|
|John Heggie||1895-1945||b. 1865 Markinch, son of Robt H.; ass. Largs; ord. (ass & suc.) 1895; d. 29 Apr 1945; mar. 1900 Jessie Carrie, dau. of John Anderson M.D.; issue: John Keith|
* The Fasti mistakenly treat John Souter and John Johnston of Wardmilne as two successive ministers, with the second married to the widow of the first. However, there was an Act of Parliament of 21 Aug 1663, following a supplication by Mr David Johnston alias Souter, student of divinity, Mr John's relative (brother?), for himself and his kinsmen, to change his name from Souter to Johnston, it being claimed that they had previously been of that surname. Mr John's sister Martha married Mr James Fithie, minister of Mains in 1654.
Ministers of Carnoustie quoad sacra
A chapel was opened in Carnoustie in 1838, and Carnoustie was disjoined from Barry on 25 Nov 1863.
|Thomas Dymock||1838-1843||b. 18 Aug 1806 Kelso ROX, son of John Dymock, LL.D., rector of Kelso Grammar School; M.A. Glasgow 1833; missionary at Gilmerton; ord. (ass.) Arbroath 22 Feb 1837; adm. here 6 Nov 1838; joined Free Kirk in 1843; min. of Carnoustie Free Kirk 1843-5; min. of Free Middle Church, Perth 1845-88; d. 4 Feb 1888 Edinburgh; bur. Wellshill Cem., Perth; mar. 1839 Ruth, yr dau. of James Bentley, prof. of Hebrew, Kings Aberdeen; issue: John, M.A., min. of Kemnay Free Kirk; Isabell; James Bentley, banker; Margaret Addie; Thos, C.A.; Wm, M.A., min. of U.F. Kirk, New Aberdour; Ruth|
|William Allan||1857-1859||b. 1823, son of Wm A., merchant; ord. 1 May 1857; d. 12 Aug 1859|
|Robert Fisher||1860-1879||ord. 26 Jan 1860; first min. of the parish 1863; tr. to St Boswells 17 Jun 1879; d. 18 Feb 1891|
|Alexander Robertson Gibson||1880-1918||b. 30 May 1844 Fowlis Easter, son of David G.; ass. Old W. Kirk, Greenock; ord. to Patna Ayrshire 27 Mar 1876; tr. & adm. 7 Jan 1880; dem. 11 Jun 1918; d. 23 Aug 1928; mar. 1881 Kate Joan, dau. of Alexr Bowie; issue: Alexr Robertson|
|James Alexander Fleming||1919-1924||tr. from St Thomas's Leith & adm. 6 Feb 1919; res. 1924; d. 31 Jul 1924 Edinburgh|
|James H. Baillie||1924-1941||b. 19 Jul 1893 Larkhall, son of Archd B.; M.A. Glasgow 1914; ass. Elgin 1921 and St Michael's Edinburgh; ord. 5 Jun 1924; dem. 25 Oct 1941; appointed to Nassau Bahamas 1941; dem. 1942; adm. Knox Church, Belmont, Ontario 1946; mar. 1932 Isabel Rose, dau. of Robt Campbell, Adelaide; had issue|
Ministers of other denominations
Ministers of Barry Free Kirk
|James Lumsden||1843-1856||see above list of Barry parish ministers|
|Alexander John Campbell||?-1890-1901-?||b. 1854 Madras, India, son of Alexander Bell Campbell, min. of Markinch Free Kirk; mar. 1890 Anna Maria ---|
Ministers of Carnoustie Free Kirk; later, St Stephen's United Free Church
|Thomas Dymock||1843-1845||see above list of Carnoustie quoad sacra ministers|
|James Philip||?-1891-1901-?||b. ca. 1849 Dundee; min., Lyon Street, Govan in 1881; d. 10 Apr 1925 Edinburgh; mar. Margaret W. G. ---; issue: John F.|
Ministers of Carnoustie (Antiburgher); later, Erskine U.F. Church
Originally located at Barrymuir. Moved 1810 to "Feus of Taymouth", i.e. Carnoustie (a town founded in 1797).
|Simon Sommerville||1791-1804||from Lauder BEW; ord. 9 Nov 1791; res. 27 Aug 1804; inducted 1804 Elgin (Moss Street)|
|John Murray||1806-1817||b. ca. 1765; retired 1803 from Johnshaven KCD; inducted 31 Dec 1806; d. 1 Jul 1817; mar. 1808 Margaret Adie (sis. of the Rev. Andrew Adie [or Aedie], Forfar; Murray's sis. mar. the Rev. James Sinclair, Stronsay); issue: Andrew, U.P. min. of Forfar|
|James Chapman||1822-1832||teacher at Abernethy PER in 1805; from Perth (North); ord. 14 Aug 1822; dem. 19 Sep 1832; d 24 Jul 1833 Barnhill, Perth|
|Laurence Pitcaithly||1834-1845||b. Forgandenny; from Craigend; ord. 18 Feb 1834; dem. 8 Jul 1845; moved to teach at Simla, India; d. 19 Dec 1849 Simla|
|George Jerment McKenzie||1846-1847||b. ca. 1819 India; ord. 24 Nov 1846; d. 18 Nov 1847; buried Newington, Edinburgh; his sister mar. the Rev. James Borwick, Rathillet FIF|
|John Primrose Miller||1849-1880||b. ca. 1818, son of the Rev. James M., Huntly ABD & gson of the Rev. John Primrose, Grange BAN; ord. 9 Jan 1849; res. 10 Feb 1880; moved to London; d. 23 Jun 1900 London|
|John F. Dempster||1880-1901-?||tr. from Lumsden ABD; inducted 26 Aug 1880|
Ministers of Original Secession Kirk, Kinloch Street
|James Patrick||?-1901-?||b. ca. 1841 Kirkintilloch DNB, gson of Daniel Weir, cotton weaver; missionary, Ayr, 1861; ord. 1868; d. 24 Feb 1919 Dundee; mar. Isabella --; issue: Henry, Daniel|
Ministers of Holy Rood Episcopal Church
|Joseph Brewer Jobberns||?-1901-?||M.A.; rector|
Monuments in Barry Kirkyard, and the more recent cemetery immediately north of it, bearing pre-1855 information (ca. 200 stones) are listed in Alison Mitchell (ed.), "Pre-1855 Monumental Inscriptions in Angus, Vol. 3: Environs of Dundee" (Edinburgh: Scottish Genealogy Soc., 1996), which can be bought from the Scottish Genealogy Society. (It's listed as "Angus MI - Vol. 3. Pre-1855 Environs of Dundee" in their online shop.)
Andrew Jervise recorded some monuments at Barry in his "Epitaphs & Inscriptions", vol. 2, pp. 326-33.
A few of the inscriptions in Barry Kirkyard follow:
Sacred to the memory of JOHN FAIRWEATHER drowned at Riga Augt 9th 1860 aged 16 years. And ALEXANDER FAIRWEATHER who was lost on a voyage from Calcutta, to London in 1861 aged 26 years. Also DAVID E. FAIRWEATHER drowned off the Cape on a voyage from Hong-Kong, to Buenos-Ayres Octr 24th 1868 aged 20 years. JANE ROBERTS FAIRWEATHER died 27th Sept 1911 aged 73 years.
1877 Erected in memory of my father JAMES GREIG who died 23d Jany 1875, aged 77 years and of my mother ANN SMITH who died 3d April 1875, aged 68 years Also of my sister CHRISTINA who died 11 May 1862, in the 19 year of her age Henceforth there is laid up for me a crown of righteousness which the lord the righteous judge [buried]
In memory of JEANIE MORGAN second daughter of ROBERT GRAHAM, farmer, Pitskelly, who died 4th August 1857, aged 4 years and 7 months. JEMIMA GRAHAM died 16th Octr 1864, aged 11 months.
In memory of THOMAS M. OGILVIE son of JAMES OGILVIE, Holmwood Carnoustie who died 23rd August 1913 aged 41 years. Also ALEX. F. OGILVIE, shipmaster who died at sea 22nd July 1919. And his wife ELIZA REID, who died at Tacoma, U.S.A. 18th October 1919.
In loving memory of Mrs DUNCAN who died at May Cottage Carnoustie 6th Feb. 1916, aged 67. In loving memory of my father WILLIAM GRAY who died at Carnoustie 11th February 1922, aged 83. And of my mother MARGARET TAVENDALE who died at Carnoustie 11th March 1922, aged 79.
Sacred to the memory of GEORGE YOUNG, tailor, died 20th Jany. 1933, aged 92. And his wife AGNES M. BROWN died 12th April 1907, aged 65.
Erected by WILLIAM and MARGARET YOUNG in loving memory of their daughters NANCY WRIGHT died 18th November 1929 aged 26 years EUPHEMIA FOX died in infancy Also their son WILLIAM MAXWELL died 21st April 1914 aged 13½ years
Erected by JAMES ROBERTSON mason, and ANN FAIRWEATHER in memory of their children AMELIA died 10th Dec. 1869, aged 5 years. ISABELLA died 17th Dec. 1869 aged 3 years.
[side] The said ANN FAIRWEATHER died 3d April 1874 aged 45 years. Also the said JAMES ROBERTSON who died 6th May 1895 aged 71 years.
Indexes and actual records for Statutory Registers of Births, Marriages & Deaths, beginning 1 Jan 1855, are available online, following registration and the purchase of credits, at the official web-site, ScotlandsPeople.
Additionally, in the National Records:
- 1872 - 1912 for Barry Free Church [NRS CH3/470/6]
Indexes and actual records for all extant Old Parish Registers (OPRs) (pre-1855) of the Established Church of Scotland are available online, following registration and the purchase of credits, at the official web-site, ScotlandsPeople.
- 1704 - 1854
- 1704 - 1815
- 1824 - 1854
- 1710 - 1815
- 1824 - 1850
Transcripts of Barry burial records, 1746-1799 [in progress]
|Nature of record||Dates||NRS ref. CH2/29/...|
|Poor relief minutes||1751-1774||7|
|Collections & misc. records||1763-1775||8|
|Notebook (of schoolmaster?) with list of jurors of parish, 1849-51, etc.||1829-1851||11|
|Scroll minutes & accounts||1763-1777||12|
|Men's Club receipts & payments book; list of members||1936-1958||20|
|Lighting committee minutes||1924-1927||21|
|Quinquennial visitation reports||1962-1972||22|
|Nature of record||Dates||NRS ref. CH3/470/...|
|Deacons' Court minutes||1844-1862||2|
|Deacons' Court minutes||1942-1945||10|
|Photo of J.R. Hosie (elder)||ca. 1942||19|
Various minutes, financial records, etc., 1854-1998, for the Church of the Holy Rood, Carnoustie, are among the Brechin Diocesan Library Manuscripts at Dundee University Archives [ref. BrMS 8].
|Nature of record||Dates||NRS ref. HR427/...|
|Churchyard committee minutes||1872-1883||2|
The principal proprietors of land in the parish in 1843 were:
- D. Hunter of Blackness - Pitskelly
- Major William Bruce Gardyne of Middleton - Ravensbie, etc.
- James Miln of Woodhill
- William Henderson of Grange
- D. Petrie of Greenlawhill
- Lord Panmure - Links, Deyhouse, etc.
- Misses Kinloch and Guthrie of Carnoustie
- Mrs Moram of Gedhall
- Miss Johnston of Waterybutts
Records of the official censuses of the parish in 1841, 1851, 1861, 1871, 1881, 1891, 1901 and 1911 are held in the New Register House, Edinburgh and are open to the public on payment of a fee.
Indexes to all the original census records, and the records themselves, can be accessed online at modest charge at ScotlandsPeople.
Microfilm copies are also widely available in libraries. The 1881 census is available on CD-ROM.
The early censuses of 1801-31 do not name individuals.
|1755||689||Dr Alexander Webster|
|1790||796||Old Statistical Account|
Carnoustie estate, 1539 to 18th century [Copies of the original documents] [Angus Archives ref. MS 534]
The following directories covering Arbroath, Carnoustie, Friockheim and surrounding districts are available online:
The following Dundee Directories include information for Carnoustie, Monifieth and Broughty Ferry:
Barry was in the Commissariot of St Andrews.
Indexes to all extant pre-1926 testamentary records (wills & inventories of moveable property) can be searched free of charge at ScotlandsPeople. Digital (and paper) copies of the documents can be purchased at that site. See further the introduction to Angus & Kincardineshire at Testaments.
Testaments of Barry people from the Register of Testaments of the Commissariot of St Andrews, 1549-1823
|James Alexander of Carnoustie||par. of Barrie||4 Mar 1675|
|Thomas Anderson||in the Milne-dene of Barrie||12 Nov 1591|
|Janet Cago||sometime spouse to Gilbert Symsoune, in Barrie||12 Nov 1591|
|John Cant of Greenhoushill||par. of Barry||11 May 1599|
|Mr James Carnegie||minister at Barrie||8 Sep 1703, 6 Mar 1704 and 9 Jul 1707|
|Margaret Clerk||spouse to umquhile Henry Rennye, par. of Barrie||14 Feb 1617|
|Thomas Clerk of Rainsbie||par. of Barrie||10 Feb 1614|
|Thomas Clerk of Ravinsbie||par. of Barrie||30 Dec 1620|
|Hercules Cramond elder of Balhall||par. of Barrie||18 Jul 1650|
|William Crawfurd||in Pitscottie, par. of Barrie||27 Apr 1599|
|Mr William Dall||minister at Barry||15 Jan 1777 and 27 May 1789|
|Margaret Davidson||sometime spouse to John Mane, in Elsonwir, in Barrie||12 Nov 1591|
|Marion Dunce||sometime spouse of Andrew Rankyne, in Barrie||12 Nov 1591|
|William Emer||in Denheid, par. of Barrie||1 May 1617|
|Robert Forrester||in Barry||10 Nov 1591|
|Alisoun Gray||in Barrie||27 Apr 1599|
|John Gray, portioner of Badyhill||par. of Barrie||22 Feb 1627|
|Helen Guild||sometime spouse of Thomas Watson, in Barrie||12 Nov 1591|
|Henry Henderson of Grange of Barry||3 Sep 1813|
|James Henderson of Grange of Barry||19 Apr 1820|
|William Henderson||in the Moistoune of Barrie||12 Nov 1591|
|John Herron||late miller at the Nether Mill of Barry||21 May 1803|
|Margaret ---||spouse of decd. William J., tenant in Graystone||20 Jun 1818|
|John Johnstone||in the Milndene of Barrie||10 Nov 1591|
|William Johnstone||in Milnedene of Barrie||31 May 1619|
|John Low||in Cottoune of Barrie, par. of Barrie||6 Aug 1618|
|William Low||wobster in Barrie||30 Apr 1619|
|Isobel Man||relict of William Alexander, par. of Barrie||23 Jul 1662|
|James Martin||feuar in Carnoustie||26 Jun, 5 Aug & 21 Sep 1819|
|Robert Petrie||in Revinsbie, par. of Barrie||23 Dec 1634|
|Robert Ramsay||in Pitskellie, par. of Barrie||27 Oct 1687|
|Robert Scott||tenant in Ravensbie, par. of Barrie||2 Sep 1713|
|James Steven||merchant, Barry||15 Apr 1801|
|John Steven||sometime in Woodhill, par. of Barry||9 May 1599|
|David Tender||in Barrie-muir||12 Nov 1591|
|Christian Thomson||sometime spouse to Andrew Mailmaker, in Barrie||12 Nov 1591|
|James Watson||weaver in Barry, spouse of Agnes Gibson||3 Feb 1814|
|Thomas Watson||in the Cotsyde of Barrie, sher. of Forfar||13 Jun 1593|
Testaments registered at St Andrews that have been lost, for which only entries in the minute books are extant.
|James Guild||in Cowbyres, par. of Barry||5 Jun 1734|
|James Kyd of Craigie||par. of Barry||22 Oct 1735|
|George Peter||ale seller in Ellsmuir, par. of Barry||15 Jun 1743|
Testaments of Barry people from the Register of Testaments of the Commissariot of Brechin, 1576-1800
|Barbara Cargill||relict of James Clark, in Cottown of Ravinsebie||8 Oct 1741|
Testaments of Barry people from the Register of Testaments of the Commissariot of Edinburgh, 1514-1600
|John Auchinleck of Wodhill||par. of Barry, sher. of Forfar||20 Mar 1590-1|
|Andro Mason||in Moistoune of Barrie, in Angus||29 May 1583|
|Henry Ramsay of Cairnetoun||in the Cutsyde, par. of Barry in Angus||22 Mar 1586|
Testaments of Barry people from the Register of Testaments of the Commissariot of Edinburgh, 1601-1700
|John Clark of Ravinsbie||par. of Barrie in Angus||19 Jan 1609|
Valuation rolls of properties in the County of Angus, for the years 1885, 1895, 1905, 1915 and 1920 only, can be seen at ScotlandsPeople.
Images of the original records for Barry:
Images of the original records for Barry:
- Guide and Gazette - web-site of the current newspaper for Carnoustie
|David Alexander McCorquodale||?-1891-1894-?||ca. 1846 Scone||16 Nov 1921 Barry||bank agent, farmer; Portrait|
|William Findlay Soutar||1901-4, 1910-3||15 Oct 1856 Dundee||30 Mar 1930 Barry||jute merchant & auctioneer|
Autobiography to 1881
|George Winter||?-1905-1908-?||18 Apr 1855 Carnoustie||21 Sep 1941 Carnoustie||boot & shoe manufacturer|
|George Carnegie||1913[?]-1919[?]||ca. 1868 Duntrune, Murroes||18 or 19 Aug 1940 Carnoustie|
|Robert Balla||1925-1926||3 Oct 1861 Guthrie||4 Nov 1926 Carnoustie||previously, bailie; house wright;|
|Andrew McCrae Wilson, O.B.E.||1930-1932||ca. 1893 Arbroath||27 Sep 1947 Arbroath||resided at Hayshead House, Arbroath|
|J. W. Keith||1938-41, 1946-8|
|Peter Lewis Fenton||1945-1946||29 Jan 1946|
|Robert Richard Webster Baillie||?-?||1883 Larbert STI||23 Dec 1956 Carnoustie|
|John R. Pate||?-1958-1959-?|
|A. Russell Winter||1969-1971-?|
|William Caesar||?-1891-1905||22 Oct 1852 Panbride||15 Oct 1905 Barry||son of James C., min. of Panbride|
|D. O. Young||?-1907-1931-?|
|James A. McAdam||?-1975|
- Angus Council: Local history: Carnoustie to the early 20th century
- Angus Council: Local history: Carnoustie - Brighton of the North
- Barry Mill
- ScotlandsPlaces: Carnoustie - an extensive collection of photographs, maps and records
- Carnoustie on Wikipedia
- Carnoustie Golf Club: History & tradition
- Margaret Hosie (1797-1877), wife of William Fox, merchant in Carnoustie